Saturday, February 7, 2015

sewing project

I thought I would share this fun project with y'all. Have you ever heard of a quiet time book? I hadn't either, until the mother I Nanny for began talking about her interest in getting one for her daughter. They are taking a trip within a few weeks and she felt it would be perfect for the plane ride. She was showing me an etsy shop that she loved: SweetJuicyApril. I was checking out the site and thinking...I can totally do this no problem. So I gave it a shot and here is what I came up with.

Please know that I took most of my inspiration and lead from the etsy sight I referenced above, I do however, have to be original and feel the end product was a success.

Here it is:

Cover page
Most all of the book is made out of felt pieces. I have lots of scrap materials such as buttons, ribbon, inlays and other fun options that I used as texture pieces throughout the pages. Above, is the cover page, featuring her name. I used mettle circle clamps to hold the pages together.

Page One
This page I took direction from, SweetJuicyApril. This is the design that was referenced as a favorite from the etsy page, so I had to try to make it. I of course had to make some of it my own design. I added the ability for the mailbox to open. You pull on the black tab and the flap folds down. The fun letter can then be stuffed inside and pulled out. It's held to the page by a fun string detail piece.

Page Two
How cute is this little dinosaur. On this page, the dots can be counted and a little felt piece representing a leaf, can be fed to the dinosaur. The leaf can be stored in a little pocket as part of the tree when not in use.

Page Three
This page is quite simple. I just added some of my fringe detailing I had extra of. These can be touched and or counted.

Page Four
                      Knock...Knock...Knock....

Page Four
I adore this page. The door opens to a sweet girl waving hello.

Page Five
Everyone loves to smell the flowers...even the little bee. The bee is connected by a fun string detail and can be stored in a pocket located in the vase when not using.

Page Six
A little underwater scene! The friendly octopus has fun little balls that can be counted. I used a hot glue gun to attach all of the white fluff balls. This is the only page that I used a hot glue gun.  My sewing machine and some hand stitching did most of the work.

The book consists of six pages total and is tied together by ribbon to keep secure. Because its felt it weighs hardly anything and can be rolled up and crammed into a carry on bag. 

I had so much fun making this book. I believe sweet Abby is going to be very entertained with her quiet book for her first plane flight. 


let it begin...








1 comment:

  1. WOW, Nicole! It's beautiful to look at and fun for kids to play with! Watch out, people are going to start placing their orders:)

    ReplyDelete